CALL OF THE WILD – MEET TINJA AND HER DOGS

13 Gennaio 2014

« Older   Newer »

1. *Astrella
        +1   -1

User deleted

CALL OF THE WILD – MEET TINJA AND HER DOGS

tinja9

Tinja Myllykangas is a young woman who traded city life to a wilderness hut in Lapland. She now runs a sled dog safari business and shares a deep bond with the wild

With her 40 husky dogs and a few horses, Tinja lives in the northern part of Finnish Lapland, 180 miles from the nearest town. To her, urban buzz and flashy goods don’t compare with the vast expanse of untouched natural wilderness on her doorstep.

tinja7

tinja1

THE WILD ESSENTIALS

Tinja’s home next to the Muotkatunturi fell has no electricity or running water. She cooks her food on a wood-burning stove or outside on an open fire.

- The chores never feel like a burden. This is a way of life I chose for myself. I get so much joy and energy from living at one with nature that I don’t feel the need for any material possessions, she says.

lupi2

lupi4

LOVING THE WINTER

Tinja’s favourite times of year are slightly unorthodox.

- I love the winter. The colder it is, the more energised I get. The darkness isn’t bad at all; even during the Polar Night, the dark period we call “kaamos”, you get a lot of light from the moon and the stars, she reckons.

While Lapland is beautiful in the winter, it’s well worth visiting in the autumn, too.

- It’s a wonderful time for pony trekking. The landscape bursts into gloriously glowing earthy colours. At the height of autumn colour, it looks as though the fells are on fire, says Tinja.

tinja3

lupi1

CANINE LOVE

An animal lover since childhood, Tinja became a safari business owner by chance. She wanted to help dogs other people couldn’t keep.

- Sled dogs need a lot of exercise and many aren’t prepared for that. Here, the dogs can do what they were born to: pull a sled, she says.

Her line of work hardly feels like a chore, either.

- My safaris last as long as the customers want. For visitors, a several day safari through the fells is an unforgettable experience. It certainly is for me – every single time, she concludes.

lupi5

tinja4

The Girl and Her Dogs -- FINLAND

Video

by VisitFinland

Source: www.visitfinland.com/article/call-o...a-and-her-dogs/

0 replies since 13/1/2014, 03:08   190 views