Witchmarks at Knole date back to Gunpowder Plot

« Older   Newer »

1. *Astrella
        +1   -1

User deleted

Witchmarks at Knole date back to Gunpowder Plot

null
    King James I

A series of witchmarks discovered in a room built to accommodate James I at Knole in Kent during conservation works were carved in the months immediately following the Gunpowder Plot. The engravings, believed to ward off evil spirits, were dated using tree ring dating to early 1606.

Experts believe that craftsmen renovating Knole in anticipation of a visit from James I carved the witchmarks. In the wake of the failed Gunpowder Plot, the marks in the Upper King’s Room were intended to protect the King from evil spirits.

null
    Witchmarks discovered in the Upper King’s Room at Knole

Fear and witchcraft

Mass hysteria swept the country following the assassination attempt on the Protestant King James I by Catholic plotters including Guy Fawkes. Accusations of demonic forces and witches at work were rife at a time which followed decades of religious upheaval.

The practice of carving intersecting lines and symbols was thought to form a ‘demon trap’, warding off evil spirits and preventing demonic possessions. The witchmarks illustrate how fear governed the everyday lives of people living through the early 17th century.

James I was noted for his personal interest in witchcraft and demons. He passed a witchcraft law in 1604 making it an offence punishable by death and even wrote a book, Daemonologie, in support of witch hunting.

null
    Knole House

Discovering the witchmarks

The witchmarks were uncovered unexpectedly by archaeologists from MOLA (Museum of London Archaeology) exploring Knole as part of a five-year project to conserve it. The Heritage Lottery Fund supported project aims to share more of Knole’s rich six hundred year heritage.

The marks which include chequerboard and mesh designs were found on beams and joists below the floorboards and on fireplace surrounds in the Upper King’s Room. The room is one of hundreds in the vast complex of Knole and the marks had lain hidden for centuries.

null
    Raised floorboards reveal the witchmarks in the Upper King’s Room at Knole

Dendrochronology (tree-ring dating) was used to date the timber giving a felling date of the winter of 1605-06. Because the wood was laid whilst the oak was still green - and therefore malleable - indicates it must have been placed during the spring or summer building season of 1606.

A significant find

‘To have precisely dated these apotropaic marks so closely to the time of the Gunpowder Plot, with the anticipated visit from the King, makes this a rare if not unique discovery’ explains MOLA Buildings Archaeologist James Wright.

‘Using archaeology to better understand the latent fears of the common man that were heightened by the Plot is extremely exciting,’ adds James. ‘It adds huge significance to our research about Knole and what was happening at that time.’

null

null

null

On-going conservation at Knole

Ironically the witchmarks’ purpose was never realised. Thomas Sackville, Lord Treasurer to James I, had begun renovations at Knole to make it fit for a visit from the King but Sackville’s death in 1608 before work was completed and his son’s lesser importance at court meant the King never visited Knole.

Investigative work to unlock more of Knole’s secrets will continue until 2018. ‘This is that once-in-a-lifetime chance to unravel the history of one of the largest houses in the country, from the rafters to the floorboards’ says our archaeologist Nathalie Cohen.

You can go behind the scenes at Knole on 20 and 21 November to see the intriguing witchmarks. The showrooms are otherwise closed to the public for winter conservation work but the medieval deer park, outdoor café, visitor centre and Green Court remain open.

null
    The room in which they were found the signs

Source: www.nationaltrust.org.uk/article-1355867625971/

0 replies since 15/1/2015, 19:59   128 views