The Book of the Dead

10 Maggio 2014

« Older   Newer »

1. Sylvhia
        +1   -1

User deleted

The Book of the Dead

libromortimuseomilano1_zpsddc27ea6

(Egyptian Museum in the Castello sforzesco in Milan, Italy. A papyrus displaying a copy of the Book of the Dead, in hieratic writing, dating from the Ptolemaic (i.e. late) period. (I managed to do my best to reproduce it all decently (somewhat), notwithstanding the fact that using tripods to shoot in the museum is forbidden). Picture by Giovanni Dall'Orto, February 14 2008.)

The Book of the Dead is an Egyptian sacred text. It consists of a collection of religious-magical formulas that were intended to protect the deceased and help him on his journey to the afterlife, which is considered fraught with pitfalls and difficulties.
    Generally, they are formulas and stories focused on the nocturnal journey of the sun god (in its various manifestations) and his struggle with the evil forces (including the serpent Apophis, which according to Egyptian mythology was the representation of the dark and Chaos and was represented in the guise of a cobra) that attempt, at night, to stop him not to resurrect it in the morning.

apopi_165

Apophis

In particular, the text was intended to prepare testimony about the conduct of life, that the deceased had to give before the judgment seat of Osiris. The papyrus was then placed in the tomb, or sometimes directly into the sarcophagus, along with treasures and furnishings deemed necessary for the soul on the road.

Osiride_zps8650f61d

Osiris

Initially the texts were written on the walls of the burial chamber. In the Middle Kingdom was used to paint the formulas on the sarcophagus, and only from the eighteenth dynasty employed the papyrus.

In this way countless testimonials on the practice of mummification and the cult of the dead in general of many dynasties came to Egyptologists .
    Called by the ancient Egyptian Book of the come back day, the Book of the Dead is basically a collection of sayings, epitaphs, formulas, which date back to the ancient texts of sarcophagi (funerary formulas, bearing magical-religious rituals, written mainly on sarcophagi products between the First Intermediate Period and the end of the Middle Kingdom. They were intended to ensure the rebirth of the deceased and the favor of the gods) and the Pyramid Texts. Prior used for "common" burials, there are extensive excerpts in the antechambers of many tombs in the Valley of the Kings in the Ramses Period.

sarcofago_zpsa911b034

Other books of the same type, with funerary purposes are:
    Amduat book;
    the Litany of Ra;
    the Book of Gates;
    the Book of Caverns;
    the books of Heaven;
    the Book of the Earth

illibrodeimorti2_zps2d3d933f

( Egyptian Museum in the Castello sforzesco in Milan, Italy. A papyrus displaying a copy of the Book of the Dead, in hieratic writing, dating from the Ptolemaic (i.e. late) period. (I managed to do my best to reproduce it all decently (somewhat), notwithstanding the fact that using tripods to shoot in the museum is forbidden). Picture by Giovanni Dall'Orto, February 14 2008.)

Source http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libro_dei_morti

*Attention please* - - "This translation (and / or content) is made by Sylvhia exclusively for "I Nove Mondi Forum". In case of partial or full release is mandatory to link to the original source and the required credits".

Edited by Sylvhia - 28/6/2014, 15:15

0 replies since 10/5/2014, 22:40   100 views