Glasslike clear ice over Slovakia lake makes hikers seem they’re walking on air - Video

« Older   Newer »

1. *Astrella
        +1   -1

User deleted

Glasslike clear ice over Slovakia lake makes hikers seem they’re walking on air - Video

null

Slovakian hiker Tomas Nunuk, 38, of Bratislava, made the 38-second video of him and his friends walking on the crystal clear ice after hiking up the country's High Tatras mountain range. Some commenters were amazed to see the three on the transparent frozen lake. But others doubted the clip was real.

A spectacular video of an incredible frozen lake whose ice is like a clear sheet of glass, allowing for a perfect view of the bottom, has gone viral.

Slovak hiker Tomas Nunuk, 38, of Bratislava, made the short video of him and his friends walking on the crystal clear ice after hiking up Slovakia's High Tatras mountain range.

The video, titled "Walking on beautiful clean ice in Slovakian Mountains," was posted Monday on YouTube and quickly generated 500,000 views in a couple of days.

Some commenters were amazed at the 38-second footage that shows the three hikers walking across the transparent frozen lake. But others doubted the clip was real.

YouTube user Shawn G wrote: "I've never seen ice that clear in my life. And I'm Canadian, so I've seen quite a bit of ice."

Narwhal Bacon, a video analyzer and Redditor, agreed. "Last time I tried this with such clear ice, it just collapsed from under my feet. I'm calling fake on this one guys,” he said.

But others were convinced it was genuine, like John Callaghan, who sarcastically wrote: "Yep, the guy who was filmed was wearing airboots, then they Photoshopped those away, a few hundred thousand square metres of cardboard mountains in the background were then added, and of course the one who was filming was suspended from a helicopter, but they Photoshopped the ripples in the water away, and there you have it ... fake (lol)."

Slovak YouTube user Jakub Kutny wrote: "I would advise you to visit this place instead of arguing about the originality of the video."

Experienced tourist Igor Ludma of Slovakia was able to give a scientific explanation for the fact that the ice look like glass.

"It is only possible when the temperatures fall from being relatively mild to very cold very quickly, and at the same time it's important that there has not been any snow which tends to make the ice very cloudy,” he said. “And we have had those conditions lately which would explain this very clear ice.

"It looks like it was about (2 centimeters) thick and it is therefore able to carry a man."

Ludma backed up something noted by several other users: it is possible to hear the cracking of the ice as the hikers walk over it.

The author of the video has not added details about the exact place where the video was filmed. But Slovakians who know their homeland's High Tatras mountains say it’s a lake called Velke Hincovo Pleso.

Velke Hincovo Pleso is located 1944 metres, or 6,300 feet, above sea level in Mengusovska Dolina, under the Koprovsky Stit mountain. The lake is 53.7 metres, or 176 feet, at its deepest point, making it the biggest and the deepest in Slovakia.

Walking on beautiful clean ice in Slovakian Mountains

by Tomas N

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/clea...ticle-1.2040395

0 replies since 11/12/2014, 20:05   47 views